Saturday, January 9, 2010

Culture Shock and Jet Lag

While we are going through some what of a culture shock, it seems like there are many similarities between the UK and the US. Some of the oddities of Newcastle are really...odd.

Their nightlife situation is very confusing: Pubs close around 11. Clubs stay open anywhere from 11-2 but mostly towards midnight. Bars...I have no idea.

No one owns snow boots.

Instead of salting the sidewalks, they use "grit" which is kitty litter. But it doesn't melt anything.

Nothing is shoveled.

The Newcastle Airport shut down for 3 days after 4 inches of snow.

I'm gathering the idea that they aren't really used to snow. duh.

At stores, they ID for buying a knife. A butter knife. But not a fork?

The girls at the clubs might as well be naked.

They have mince pies. Delicious. Much like a pot pie and they are really cheap. Like 1 pound which is about $1.60.

The people don't get too stressed out about anything.

Upon walking into the student union, it appears to be a club. Why is this? Because that's exactly what it is. Last time I checked, OSU's student union didn't come with a 20 foot long bar full of liquor. Maybe I'm wrong.

Beer costs an arm and a leg at the club. Well, 3.25 pounds. Which is around $5.00 for a bottle of Stella. That was just one club, but dang, thats expensive. Maybe not for the U.S. but I believe Stella is made here, so no import tax.

They have things called Trebles which are triple shots. Don't give frat kids any ideas.

A grocery store clerk didn't know what a cart was. I think she called it a trolley.

No peanut butter to be found.

They have a lot of coins: a penny, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, 1Pound, 2Pounds and all of the sizes aren't in order of value. (I suppose our dimes are bigger than nickels though)

They play American music at the clubs.

They make a huge deal about having the back of your debit card signed.

Most places take cash only. Supermarkets seem to be the only places to accept cards.
And of course, the people all talk so beautifully. Which makes listening to instructions rather entertaining.

As for Jetlag. We are not over that quite as yet. We've been having periodic naps and sleeping in until 2. Most of all, we don't really feel that settled because the airline still hasn't found our luggage. I'm sure we will feel quite comfortable when/if it arrives.

Luggage aside, we've met some cool people and our flatmates from Chicago are a lot of fun! We're going out tonight so I'm sure I'll have another long list tomorrow :)

1 comment:

  1. I was looking at all the student union has to offer at Queens University in Belfast (which I've decided I'm going to for sure!) and they have a club too. So weird, but nice I guess. haha

    ReplyDelete